Doctor Doo and I discussed the plan…he still thinks we are more than fine moving to Hong Kong on March 6th. He is pleased that I have people in Hong Kong to meet me at the hospital until Adam gets there, and he said he would be sure to make sure the baby came on a weekend so that Adam wouldn’t have to take the trip from Huizhou.
I got another blood test to see if I am producing the antibodies I need to kill the antibodies that would harm my baby. If I am producing then I don’t need the shot if not then I get a shot at my next visit.
The story behind my shots: Adam has type A+ blood and I have O-. Basically because I am negative and Adam is positive the baby could have RH disease (this wouldn’t be the case if our blood types were switched). Anyway RH disease can be severe (stillbirth) or mild (anemia). The baby would get this disease because during pregnancy blood can pass from baby to mother which would make my antibodies say “whoa what is this” and attack. If this happens the antibodies could pass through the placenta to the fetus and will try to destroy the positive red blood cells. This would hurt the baby and would become worse with each pregnancy. The good thing is RH disease can be prevented by injecting anti RH- antibodies. Both the baby and I will most likely have a shot right after birth. 1 in 10 Caucasian births include a RH- mother and an RH+ baby; however it is rare to get the disease.
No comments:
Post a Comment