Thursday, December 16, 2010

Not Quite the End…

I am laying in a very nice bed at the best hotel in Huizhou.  I no longer feel sorry for the poor repair man who had to deal with the wrath of Lindsay yesterday. 
Last night I decided to take a shower, I expected to be disappointed, but what could I do?  When I stepped into the shower it was actually hot (and not room temperature), just when I was able to “pre rinse” the water cut off completely.  I called Adam who was on his way home.  He suggested we go to a hotel for the night. I was pretty calm considering.  A couple min. later the water turned back on so I assumed that it was air in the pipe, forgot about the hotel and was relieved.  I waited for it to get hot again then got back in the shower…30 seconds later the water turned off again.  I sent Adam a text that said “WE ARE GOING TO A HOTEL THEN WE ARE MOVING!”.  I assume that the guy that came today to “check things out” did something to mess something…however he didn’t step foot in the bathroom where the problem started. 
Adam and his Chinese coworker (who has been or water advocate throughout all this) will be meeting the same little repair man who was there yesterday.  Adam’s coworker told us months ago that we were being way too nice and he would call and yell at anyone we wanted him to.  I honestly think he is more upset at this new development then I am.  Chinese people are big on “saving face” and while dealing with people you have to make sure they are able to save face and you have to keep in mind that they are trying to save face.  Jiambo felt like his involvement in this is making him lose face.  In my eyes Jiambo is my favorite Chinese person, he has given up his time to help out Adam and I, we both know he is basically the translator and we don’t hold him responsible at all.  At this point my biggest worry is that Jiambo will never know how thankful we are that he has been helping us.  I am really glad that Adam and Jiambo will be there with the repair men today, respect for women is not the same and the people that come never seem to believe me or care whether or not I am satisfied with the job.  I have to call Adam and have one of his coworkers talk to them…if no one is available the repair men just leave.
I still don’t know whether or not we will move, but this is obviously a problem that won’t go away.  I feel like I need to write up a document that I need to make all repairmen sign before they walk through my door.  It would say something like this: “I will not break anything that works OK, and I will not leave until I have fixed or identified the problem and will fix it within 24 hours.  If I don’t accomplish anything or make things worse I understand that I will have to deal with the angry foreign pregnant woman who lives here.” 
Meanwhile I am in a hotel room when I have 40+ people coming to my house tomorrow night…

No comments:

Post a Comment