Friday, April 16, 2010

Chinese Kindie

I had been hearing a lot about “kindie” from Jodie.  We talk about the differences in Chinese, American and Australian kindergartens, her view from the parent, me of course from the teacher.  By the way I love calling it kindie and I thought it was a Jodie thing but the headmistress (and English woman) called it the same thing.

Today I got to spend some time in an unusual Chinese Kindergarten.  I say unusual because they are focused on exploration and discovery (kind if Montessori) where the “western” advertised Chinese schools allow play but it is very structured (and not in a good way).  Chinese Kindergartens are what we would consider pre-school/daycare.  Children start at the age of 2 (yes TWO) and go to kindergarten for 3 years before heading to primary school.  School starts at 8:00 and ends at 5:00 (yes 5:00, however that includes a 2 hour nap…yeah…2 hours). 
I observed the English class that children attend each day.  They go for 40 min. of English instruction and it includes theme weeks.  This was Pirate week, they talked about pirate clothing, sang pirate counting song, read pirate books and did a pirate craft.  All in all I love it.  They don’t have a full time position available, but that’s alright with me.  They did say that I could come and help whenever I want!

No comments:

Post a Comment