Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Lessons Learned and Things That Still Need Some Work…

Yes it has been 3 days since my Halloween party, and yes my house is still in the process of being put back together and no, I honestly don’t care.  Which leads me to a lesson I need reviewed.  I am a typical American hostess who prepares way too much food and expects perfection beyond her abilities.  Normally too much food (at least in the crowds I hang with) is never an issue.  People always say the polite “oh wow look at all this food, you did way too much” when in reality (at least this is what I do) you use your politeness to scan the food table to make your decision on where to start.  At the end of a typical party in America the “too much food” is just enough with a few leftovers that can easily be pawned off on guests.  However in China (this explains their lack of hips) people don’t eat like Americans.  So either I need to learn to make less (which is always the goal but never seems to work) or invite more Americans to the party….Anyone want to fly out here for a Chirstmas party?
Back to my mess of an apartment…lots of platters and no dishwasher.  After each gathering I have the “too much food” needs to be set out perfectly so that it looks nice.  The nicer I try to make it look and the more food I decide last min. to set out means more platters, which means a kitchen full of dirty dishes.  Normally I would load up the dishwasher with anything that could fit and a couple hours later unload and reload.  Although I find hand washing dishes soothing there is a limit to what I am willing to do (especially when that means I need to boil water for each batch of dishes (this party had 4 batches after the party and 4 before the party.  This time I did the really nice platters that I don’t want broken and left the rest for my cleaning lady who is coming today.  Lesson for next party…use paper plates instead of platters.  Now, if I could just find a store where they sell paper pots and pans.
One of the perks of living in China is help is cheap, my cleaner comes and takes care of the things I don’t like doing.  This makes up for some of the challenges I face in keeping house.  When she comes I like to get out of her way.  Today I plan on getting a foot massage (another perk).  For $8 US I can get an hour long foot massage.  Honestly it’s not all about the massage it’s about the news.  The hotel where I go get my massage has CNN World and BBC World, so I am able to find out what is going on back home and all over the world.  Something I am really excited to do the day after the elections.  Problem: Chinese people don’t give massages of any kind or manicures and pedicures, or basically touch women who are pregnant.  Now that I am obviously pregnant and can’t play the “fat American” card I have learned a few tricks.  Wear a baggy shirt and a scarf to cover the belly, now that it is cold, wear a jacket.  When they take you to your chair they give you a warm towel to use as a blanket…I put on the towel, bunched up around my belly and take off my scarf and jacket.  Problem solved, and lesson learned!

No comments:

Post a Comment