Wednesday, February 27, 2013

The Lindsay Milton Method of Potty Training

I have done a lot of reading up on potty training. There are so many "get your kid using the potty in an unreasonably fast amount of time" methods out there. As great as they sound they just don't make sense to me. I don't know maybe the teacher in me is over thinking it or maybe the Chinese expat in me makes me uncomfortable allowing my kid to run around without pants making my house his bathroom. I'm sorry no professional carpet cleaner can make me forget per and poo all over the floor.
The major problem I have with the quick methods is the change in routine. They say get the other kids out of the house and the trainee should stay home all day without pants. My son thrives on routine so keeping him at home (unusual) without pants (all day he would ask for pants) and getting Hunter out of the house so I could focus on Zack would be difficult not to mention throwing another change in the mix. Teaching something quickly means they could lose it quickly, and teaching something in an unnatural environment isn't ideal...it's hard to transfer knowledge. Learning needs to happen in time, at the pace of the child and in an environment they understand.
I'm not saying that those 3 day methods won't work but it won't work for everyone. I have always been anti-program. No one method of anything works for everyone.
Today I bought a toddler seat for our potty (I don't want to teach Zack to use one with lights and sounds or is special just for him then have to teach him the real potty). I bought the basic white one and I don't think he even knows it's different. I am going to start with putting him on the potty when he wakes up,before nap, after nap and before bath. I won't make him sit for more than 30-45 seconds. My routine kid will quickly make it a part of his day. After a little while (weeks/days/a month), whatever time Zack needs I'll put Pull ups on him and have him use the potty more often (I'll ask him every hour). Thankfully he is pretty regular as far as #2 goes so the next step would be putting him on the potty for a longer period of time about 30 min after his morning milk (aka "go time"). If at anytime the whole potty thing becomes too much for him we will stop and take a break.
I had planned on starting this over the summer but Zack has been showing signs that he is ready and I would hate to miss the opportunity.
I will post updates every so often so #1 I can refer to this when we need to do all this again with Hunter. And #2 I can keep track of what we have and haven't tried so a year from now when Z is still in diapers we know what things to try next.

No comments:

Post a Comment