Adam went into work today and I took the opportunity to try to make it on my own in our new neighborhood. Before I left my room I checked for the hotel card and my cash and my phone about 4 times…I had that anxious/excited/nervous feeling. I saw a taxi outside, gave him a sheet of paper with LiRi written in Chinese and my adventure began. I am getting used to the driving “rules” here in Huizhou…do whatever you need to in order to get where you want to go…but I still got nervous when my taxi driver honked at 2 old ladies who were stranded in the middle of the road. “How dare these ladies keep me from getting to my destination in record time?!?” When the driver dropped me off I like the little old ladies had to get myself across the street…my goal…don’t get hit by a car, a bus, a bike, a motor scooter, or a cart!
While driving in the area I noticed a cute little coffee shop near the apartments and planned on having breakfast there before exploring the mall, the streets outside our new apartment and finding somewhere for lunch. I searched for an hour before I gave up!
I realized that our new place was close to walk street (where we have spent many nights)…its like walking in an outdoor mall with loud music and lots of cool lights. I walked through the mall and realized 2 things…1. Don’t touch if you don’t want the sales girl to expect you to buy…2. If you do touch walk away quickly or you will be trapped in a conversation with someone who you don’t understand and who doesn’t understand you. Touching the pink floral comforter to see how soft it was a huge mistake. I tried to mention that I had a husband and he wouldn’t like it, she thought I wanted two sets of sheets. I said that I wanted to look around and used my best miming technique to show her that I didn’t want to buy today…that I was just looking (defiantly a phrase I will learn before shopping again). She took out a notebook with all different designs and pointed out each floral design they carried. I don’t know how it finally happened but I got out of there without a comforter that I hated!
This sure did cool me off! One thing I can get used to…fresh fruit year round at every meal…this was the freshest smoothie I ever tasted!
Feeling more like Mary then ever I wanted to walk to the center of the street and throw my sunglasses in the air (I didn’t have a hat), can you imagine if I had to explain that to the police as they take me to the Chinese psych. ward? “but I am just like Mary!”

No comments:
Post a Comment