Thursday, February 17, 2011

I feel like I am cheating on Dr. Doo with a man I have never met…

Well, maybe not cheating but I certainly have a new doctor who after reading about I am in love with.  Technically he will be Zachary’s doctor, but from what I have read he is perfect.  I got recommendations from friends then looked each doctor up on Geobaby (the Hong Kong website for ex-pats who are pregnant or have babies…there are tons of us!). I didn’t find much on the recommended doctors however I kept reading things like “I go to Dr. Mark Chan who is in the same practice and is amazing”.  I decided to look up this Dr. Mark Chan and although you usually get some negative feedback on things (the waiting room is small, there aren’t enough nurses, he is busy and we have to wait a while) I didn’t read one negative comment from any woman on Geobaby.  In fact I kept reading things like “great with a first time mum who has a lot of questions” “wonderful with my baby” “I can’t say enough wonderful things about him” etc…  I googled him and found the website for his practice, along with his bio.  What I read put him at the top of my list. 

Dr. Mark Chan went to University in the UK (as do all the best doctors in Hong Kong), he worked at various hospitals around London affiliated with the University of London (that can’t be bad)…here it comes…he worked at the Duke University Medical Center in Durham NC!!!!!!  He has specialized in nephrology (kidney disease) but switched back to general pediatrics.  He moved back to Hong Kong in 2007.  He has a ton of other accomplishments but I have no idea what any of them mean. 

One of my worries was that I was going to have to do a ton of research about standard care in the US.  I want our baby to be on track with immunizations etc…so when we move back we will have a smooth transition to a new doctor.  I figured at least he knows what the standard practice is in the US. 

OK so let’s keep score…RAVING reviews, understanding of US pediatrics, and gives me one less thing to worry about. 

Then I got an e-mail that pushed him over the top…I e-mailed Dr. Doo (who if you haven’t been able to tell I LOVE…maybe a bit too much but I have never actually liked any doctor I have ever had, so this is a good thing) to ask him to recommend some pediatricians.  He got back to me with one name…Dr. Mark Chan.  Then he went on to say that his office was located in the same building but a few floors up.  So to sum it up no, Dr. Doo didn’t recommend any of the other doctors in that practice (who also sounded great based on their bios) he recommended the one I had already decided I wanted.

Back to the score… RAVING reviews, understanding of US pediatrics, gives me one less thing to worry about, is recommended by the best doctor in the world (according to me) and I already know where the building is…not to mention I can knock out two doctors appointments easily. 

Adam and I are meeting with him on March 7th after my appointment and unless this man is a total monster he is the winner!  I haven’t been able to stop thinking about how this must be a God thing…I mean could this man be any better on paper? 

No comments:

Post a Comment