Saturday, February 19, 2011

This Week Last Year

In a way it feels like yesterday but on the other hand it feels like a lifetime ago.  I guess it kind of was a lifetime ago…looking at how our lives have changed in this past year.
A Look Back:
Sunday Feb. 14: I spent the day with my best friend from college who was nice enough to fly up and help me run errands.
Monday Feb. 15: I spent another day shopping with my bestie, then after dropping her off at the airport joined Adam at our last life group meeting. 
Tuesday Feb. 16: The movers (or should I say mover) came to pack up everything going to China.  This was the first time I felt stressed about the move.  Looking back I don’t know how I made it without crying.  I was assured that it would just take a couple hours and they would be done before lunch.  I figured that the company Cree hired to deal with our move would have communicated with the movers.  I assumed that I would have half a day to finish crossing things off my list.  I was wrong.  The one guy that came to pack everything up was wonderful and patient.  He started in the kitchen and packed all the dishes and pots and pans and moved through the house.  As he finished each room he would weigh each box record the weight and put the boxes in the truck.  After finishing the kitchen and packing electronics he stopped because he reached the weight limit he was given.  500 lb’s…didn’t include clothes or all the toiletries I had stocked up on at Sam’s.  Cree gave us a limit of about 1200 lb’s which is why we weren’t conservative with what we packed.  Unfortunate the mover’s boss was at lunch and wouldn’t answer his phone until his lunch was over so the mover and I hung out for an hour.  I was thinking of all the things I wasn’t able to do, rescheduling appointments and wondering what I was going to do if the were only going to take the 500 lb’s.  It sounds like a lot but 300 of those lb’s were 3 transformers so that we could plug American products into Chinese plugs…something about the voltage.  Once the boss got back to us he said that they were allowed to ship 500 lbs straight away and hold the rest until our paperwork was finished.  If I had known that I would have packed very differently…ie our clothes vs. our entire set of plates, glasses and pots.  I made the decision to have the guy pack everything else and we would just wait the month it would take to finish the paperwork.  It was that or have him unpack every box re-arrange things and have him re-pack.
Wednesday Feb. 17: The movers (2 this time) came back to pack up everything going into storage.  This went much faster because they mostly had furniture to deal with, not all the little things that the poor guy the day before had to pack.  I called Adam when the movers left and he met them at the storage unit.  However the truck broke down on the way leaving Adam (who had plenty to do at work preparing for Cree’s move to Huizhou) standing at the storage unit until they fixed the truck. 
Thursday Feb. 18: After sleeping (or not sleeping) on an air mattress Adam went in for another long day at work trying to make up for lost time and I organized all the things that needed to be packed.  I met some ladies for lunch and when I returned I packed everything.  It didn’t fit the first time so I unpacked, re-organized and re-packed.  It still didn’t fit.  3rd try was a charm.  However I went downstairs to clean out the closet (things that were going to my parents) and noticed all our shoes needed to be packed.  Rather than try to fit it all I went to target and bought another suitcase.  I rearranged things a little so that we could hopefully live out of 2 suitcases and leave the others for once we move into the apartment.  Adam came home to pick me up, he helped me pack my car with things for my parents and we packed his car with our 7 pieces of luggage.  As we headed to Raleigh where we spent the night with friends I had a total mental breakdown.  It was all the tears from all the stress of the past few days, it was the lack of sleep from the air mattress and a mind full of lists.  This all happened while I was on the phone with my dad telling him how to pick up my car and that I needed him to check our storage shed.  I love my dad and I love my husband but neither of them know what to do with a crying Lindsay.I thought Adam would drive off the road trying to calm me down and I thought my dad was 5 seconds away from coming out to me.  Both the men were trying to tell me how I shouldn’t be stressed, that everything was taken care of.  This was one of those times where you just need to let it out.  We showed up at our friend’s house and as soon as Leslie saw my puffy face she reached out and hugged me…that was all I needed…that and the pizza we ate while watching the Olympics.
Friday Feb. 19: Adam got up and went to work and I got up and hung out with Leslie talking about her pregnancy and what had happened since I had seen her last…girl talk.  Adam picked me up for lunch at a Mexican restaurant.  Our flight didn’t leave until 4:00 so after lunch Adam and I went to a move; Valentine’s Day.  Next thing we knew we were on our way to Toronto, which put us one step closer to Hong Kong which put us that much closer to Huizhou.
I honestly don’t know how I would have survived this week without the dinners and lunches with friends and family.  I can’t wait to have lunches and dinners when we return to catch up on all the things we missed…however it does make me sad that we are closer to leaving Huizhou.

No comments:

Post a Comment