Friday, February 11, 2011

We Make A Great Team

I am so excited about having an infant in the house…sometimes I can’t even stand it!  I feel prepared (well as prepared as a person can be) and I am thankful for all the things I have done in my life to prepare me for my little man.  I was Red Cross certified as a baby-sitter and happened to be the only teenage girl on our street giving me the babysitting monopoly.  I nannied for a summer, and was in charge of the nursery one day a week at the resort I worked at for a couple summers.  Teaching kindergarten and first grade isn’t going to help me with infant care but it sure will come in handy as Zachary grows up.  None of these things is the same as becoming a full time parent yourself, but I have no fears about caring for my baby.  Adam on the other hand has asked me to come up with a checklist of things he needs to master before I can leave him alone with the baby.  I have no doubt he will conquer the list in no time at all.

Meanwhile today I have been sanitizing bottles and parts for the breast pump.  The breast pump is totally scary to me.  Before I opened the box I thought oh it’s easy everyone does it…now that the box is open and the parts are staring me in the face I am looking at them like I looked at a test in calculus class.  The tubes, the suction, the containers, the little parts that I have no clue what they do.  It is times like these when I am glad to be married to an Engineer.   Adam is going to have to write out a kindergarten level instruction sheet on what to do with the pump.  I am really bad at following directions and get overwhelmed very quickly with things that need to be plugged in.

All in all I think we will make a good team until I am comfortable with electronics Adam can be in charge of setting up and reading directions, and until Adam is comfortable with the baby I can be in charge of Zachary.  However I think I got the better end of the deal.

No comments:

Post a Comment