Sunday, May 1, 2011

2 Doctors, a Lactation Consultant, A Passport, a Visa and a whole lot of planning

This past weekend (starting Thursday) was CRAZY!  After we got to the hotel and got ourselves ready to go we went out to eat a quick bite before going to the US consulate.  It didn’t take us very long at the consulate because we just had to pick up the passport. The security guards were wonderful they let me bring his milk in even though you aren’t allowed to bring liquids and on the way out they asked where my husband was…I said I am an American girl and I need NO man to do what I need to do…haha, they laughed but honestly it would make things so much easier if I had someone with me.  Then we took another taxi to the Chinese Visa office.  They weren’t so nice.  I had one half bottle of breast milk (we had a big spill in the hotel because I didn’t put the lid on tight enough…talk about heartbreak!) I had some bottled water and an empty bottle and some emergency formula.  The guards said I could only take one thing (either a half of a feed, an empty bottle or a bottle of water).  I told them that I needed everything for the baby but they didn’t care.  I figured if we went through the breast milk I would come back to the guard stand and trade see if they would allow me to make a formula bottle in front of them.  It took an hour and a half to apply for the visa and thankfully the half bottle was able to tide him over until we left and he even was able to allow me to pump when we got back to the hotel so I didn’t have to use the formula.  After pumping and feeding we were exhausted and it started to rain so I ordered room service, put on the news and uploaded pictures to facebook.
Friday Zach met my friend Judi (he was smitten) for lunch and went to my doctors appointment.  I was hoping that I could get an appointment on Sat. so I didn’t have to take the baby but no such luck, so I crossed my fingers that he wouldn’t begin to cry as my doctor was doing his thing.  It was really fun bringing my baby to the office where I went so often waiting for him, plus all the pregnant ladies looked at him with jealousy and anticipation.  I got to the office 15 min early but I got to the exam room right away…maybe they were also not going to push their luck with a crying baby.  I was anxious about finding out some details of the complications in my pregnancy and delivery.  Basically Dr. Doo told me to be aware and share this information with the next doctor for my next pregnancy, but not to worry about it.  He said that I would most  likely continue to have small babies and beyond that any other problem may or may not happen again.  We got back to the hotel, pumped, fed, changed etc… and headed out to pick up some dinner to take back to the hotel so we could watch the Royal Wedding.  Adam got in at 8:30ish and we went to the hotel lounge which was fully open to have a drink and unwind. 
Saturday the 3 of us went to Zach’s doctor.  He HATES being naked and he has to be to be weighed and that combined with 3 days of being strapped in did him in.  He screamed and kicked while the poor nurse changed his diaper, weighed and measured him.  We calmed him down before the doctor saw him but I could tell he just wanted to stretch and move.  Dr. Chan was very impressed at his weight gain (almost 3 lb’s, he now weighs 8 lb’s 9 oz…a lot more then the 7-7.5 we were hoping) and said it was a compliment to me and my feeding him.  When he heard that Z still was not nursing he made us an appointment with a different lactation consultant.  She was wonderful to see me after her normal office hours.  Adam Z and I went to clean up the hotel room, pump, feed etc... and get some lunch.  After lunch we went to the Lactation Consultant and Zachary nursed for the first time.  She said that sometimes they wake up ready, I had noticed the past day or two that he was rooting a little more and maybe it is just his time.  We aren’t out of the woods yet but it is a major win for Z and I!

No comments:

Post a Comment