Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Ex Pat Wives Club

It’s not actually a formal club, but it is a group of women that live near Huizhou that get together and do whatever!  I went to coffee morning, but they get together for Zumba, mommies clubs (there are 5 babies born in the last year), shopping trips, and just for support.  I met a lot of really cool women from all over the world.  The group here is very welcoming, they all offered to be a shoulder to cry on, a friend to shop with or just someone I can speak English to.  They all remember what it was like to be in a country where you can’t talk to anyone and you stick out like a sore thumb, and they all remember that what they needed was a friend. 

A few of the ladies have lived all over the world with their husbands and said China seems to be the hardest to feel settled in because of the differences and especially in a small town were there aren't many foreigners.  One of the ladies did say she was impressed at how well I was doing...and that the first two months are the hardest.  Meanwhile we are almost a month in and I am doing so well (don’t' get me wrong I have had my moments of "oh my gosh...what did I agree to?" but they quickly pass).  It was encouraging to hear that because I have been ready for the bottom to fall out any day now.  I've been told that once the newness and the excitement wear off you could go through a depression.  These ladies all said that the beginning was the hardest, and once you get through the first 2 months (not to say things will be perfect...they wouldn't be if we were still in the States) and establish a life here things will be fine.  It worried me that it seemed that I was the only one not worried about me being happy here, but the ladies made me feel more confident that it will be the adventure I hoped it would.
I am very excited about hanging out with these ladies in the future; we do have a shopping trip planned next week!

No comments:

Post a Comment