At my last regular dr. appointment they mentioned the results from my N&T scan showed that there was nothing to worry about but did show an abnormal hormone level for one of my hormones. Basically the doctor said he wasn't worried but it was strange. Just to be safe he had me sent to Duke Perinatal Consultants for a detailed scan. Everything (the organs, the measurements etc...) looked perfectly normal. The doctor said that this specific hormone has a correlation to fetal growth. Since my level was a little low he wanted me to come back at 28 weeks for another detailed scan to make sure little man is still growing. After I told him about Zack's low birth weight (5lb 11oz at 39 weeks) and that he had stopped growing all together at 36 weeks, the doctors eyes lit up. He said well that is a second red flag and we will for sure keep a close eye on this baby.
As a mom (even though my Hong Kong dr assured me Zack's size was not due to anything I did or didn't do) I blamed myself. I am really thankful I didn't know at 16 weeks pregnant that Zack was going to be small (24 weeks of worry...not what a preggo needs). Now that I have had experience with a tiny baby and now that I know he will be perfectly healthy and grow just fine out of the womb I am not as worried. In fact I am relieved that the specialist will keep a close eye on the growth because I thought I would have the same issues with this pregnancy but without the ultrasound at every visit they might not catch it. I also like that I have an answer as to why Zack was so little and now I will be prepared with a few preemie outfits so #2 won't have to wear big clothes for two months like his poor big brother.
My little 7 percentile little baby is now a 95 percentile running toddler. The doctors, Adam and I are all confident that even though #2 might be a tiny baby...he will grow into a healthy running toddler...I just pray Zack and little guy run in the same direction.
No comments:
Post a Comment