Monday, March 7, 2011

Hospital/Resort

Adam came in early on Friday so we could tour the hospital…it was AMAZING!  Honestly the maternity ward is small (it’s a private hospital so we had to book it before 13 weeks) and very quiet.  As soon as we stepped of the elevator I had this wave of emotions/hormones (which has happened a lot over the past week or so).  Seeing the babies in the nursery was overwhelming (in a good…I can’t wait…I am having a baby! Kind of way).  I used to see babies and think how small they were now I look at them thinking how the heck is that whole person in my belly (then I see myself from the side and think…ok hopefully that’s what is in the belly).  They encourage rooming in but allow you to send the baby to the nursery if you want or just need some rest. 

We weren’t able to see the “delivery spa” because both rooms were in use…only 2 you say well the lady told us that out of 12000 women that gave birth last year in this hospital only 7 were turned away due to overcrowding.  The delivery spa (I still think it’s funny that they call it that) has a garden tub for mom to use and a massage chair for dad.  The pictures they showed us made it look like a rainforest with nice lighting and a mural of plants. 

For a normal delivery my package includes 3 nights at the hospital, all my meals, classes on how to bathe and do common first aid (temp taking etc…), a lactation consultant and a midwife who is assigned to me the second I check in (she is in charge of taking care of me and making sure I get the things I request in the birth plan), clothes for the baby and I while we are there, toiletries and a hairdryer, TV and DVD player, and the babies first well check up! 

Adam was a little worried that I am going to be spoiled by this experience for the next time around…I feel like this is my little right/gift after having to travel back and forth (I enjoyed it but it’s not easy) and after having to live in a small flat 3 hours from home (I love Hong Kong but it’s much nicer to be in my own home with my own stuff).  However since this is the first experience I have…all other hospitals will be measured against Matilda. 

No comments:

Post a Comment