Tuesday, July 6, 2010

I've got the grocery store blues

The can’t find what you need and don’t know if you actually bought the right product because it’s written in Chinese BLUES!
Grocery shopping in China is an experience in itself.  I pack up my grocery bags and my hand sanitizer and head to the store about once a week (per store).  I mainly shop at Jusco (a Japanese chain) or Walmart J.  The organization of the stores makes no sense to me so I have to wonder each aisle and search for each item.  I don’t make a list because that would just be disappointing.  I always buy milk if they have it and it’s fresh because they don’t always have it in the store, and I have to buy the same milk each trip because the one time I bought something that looked like milk (it was in a milk carton and had a cow on the side) and I didn’t realize it was a yogurt drink until I tried to make mac and cheese with it.  Not only did I end up with no dinner but I wasted a box of kraft mac and cheese from the states.  I used to love grocery shopping in America…the smell of the bakery (now I smell meat and fish that have been sitting out)…the meals I would plan as I walk down the aisle (now I just hope I can find some chicken breast so I can cook it the same way I always do)...planning a surprise treat when walking down the baking aisle or the ice cream aisle (now I HOPE what I buy is what I think it is)…going to the refrigerated section (I really have no room in the refrigerator so I can’t buy much that needs to stay cold).  The rough part is I still love grocery shopping but every trip is a huge let down.  
I hate being totally negative so here are the positives about grocery shopping in Huizhou: 1) I save so much money by not buying things I don’t need and will never use (I don’t have room and I don’t have the desire to stock up on vacuum packed chicken feet).  I spend on average $25 US a trip (2 trips a week?) for fresh fruits, veggies and meal items.  The exception being my last trip when I passed the American section and bought nothing real to eat but spent almost triple my usual total.  One of my favorite parts of shopping is that everyone is so interested in what I buy.  If I leave my cart to gather apples or pick something off a shelf sometimes there is someone going through my cart to see what the foreigner is buying. It never fails that as I walk people glair into my cart (after they glair at me for a moment).  I bet they wonder why that foreign girl has 6 cartons of milk…well it’s because they only had the individual milk containers (like at school) that day.

No comments:

Post a Comment